St John’s has embarked on a programme of refurbishment which will enhance our worship and make the church more accessible, as well as addressing the maintenance issues. Part of the work includes the transformation of the ground floor of the tower (the only part of the church which survived the fire-bombing in 1942) into a memorial chapel, and the installation on the east wall above the communion table of the copper cross that used to top the church roof.
Some of the work has already begun, with the removal of some pews at the back and front of the church to give wheelchair users more choice of seating space; new, easily-shifted chairs are replacing the pews. This process will continue over the next few months.
We are holding the 9.30am Sunday service in a large marquee on the north lawn; this enables us to continue with the Sunday morning children’s and youth activities which take place in the Jubilee Hall and Pauling Room. All the other Sunday and weekday services are taking place in the Jubilee Hall or the Pauling Room.
We plan to be back in the refurbished church building in early November, ready for our Festival of Remembrance.